Are you aware that for each and every pound of weight we lose, we alleviate four pounds of force from our knees, and as many as six pounds from our hips? This is definitely a great incentive for everyone to keep active, regardless of age! Most notably for seniors, however, who are susceptible to joint pain from arthritis and other conditions of aging, adding a workout program to the daily routine could make a sizable difference in lessening discomfort.
With the approval from the senior’s physician, At-Home Care Company recommends the following types of exercises to aid seniors in maintaining healthy joints:
- Get started with a warm-up. Just before exercising, the senior must always begin with gentle bending and stretching moves, such as reaching up overhead, bending down to touch the toes (or as close as possible without causing discomfort), side bends, and moving the arms in slow, wide circles.
- Swim a lap or two. Swimming is a wonderful low-impact cardio workout, and just being in the water is extremely relaxing for both the mind and the body as well. Try to find a senior swim class, or alternatively accompany your loved one in swimming a few laps at his / her own pace.
- Get in some weight training. Resistance training can be performed at any time and anywhere and at nearly every level of fitness. Resistance bands, hand weights or even bottles of water are perfect for building upper body strength. The person should start light and slowly progress up to an increased difficulty level – again, with instructions from the medical professional.
- Take a hike. There’s nothing quite as invigorating and energizing as taking a walk outdoors, when weather allows. Walking through the neighborhood provides the added benefit of socializing with friends on the way; or locate a wooded trail to take pleasure from the quiet beauty of nature.
- Try something new. Check with the area senior center or gym to locate a course your loved one might want to try, such as yoga or tai chi. Register for the class together and get the added benefit of making some fun new memories with the senior!
As At-Home Care Company, experts Story County senior care providers, it’s always our goal to help seniors enjoy life to the fullest, and also to continue to be as active and engaged as possible – improving both physical and emotional wellbeing. As home health care experts, we are always readily available to provide transportation and accompaniment to exercise classes or any other activities of great interest. Reach out today at (515) 292-2650 to make the initial step in assisting your loved one achieve a healthier and happier quality of life, all in the comfort of home!