As we age, skin changes are not unusual. The skin becomes thinner and drier, may develop wrinkles, creases, and age spots, and bruises easier. However, a little extra TLC for senior skin can go a long way towards keeping it more attractive and healthy. Try these tips from the aging skin care professionals at At-Home Care Company:
- Change up the bathing regimen. Trading in long, hot baths for a 10-minute shower or warm-water bath or switching bar soap with a far gentler cleanser are excellent starting points in looking after aging skin. Switching from showering or bathing every day to every other day for older adults will further protect skin. Make sure you follow up with a fragrance-free moisturizer; however, stay clear of bath oils, which can boost the danger of a fall.
- Protect from the sun’s rays when outside. Springtime is a popular time to get outside with your senior loved one, but don’t forget to protect the skin with sunscreen (at least SPF 30), look for the shade, and provide a hat for additional defense against the sun’s rays.
- Boost humidity when indoors. Dry air, naturally, results in dry skin. When heating or air conditioning are running in the house, make use of a humidifier also. Check humidity levels with a hydrometer (available at the local hardware or home improvement store), and shoot for a reading of somewhere within 45 and 60 percent.
- Protect working hands. If your senior loved one takes pleasure in being able to help with household chores or gardening, make certain he/she wears gloves to guard his/her hands from any harsh chemicals that could irritate or injure the skin.
- Check for skin cancer. Make certain your loved one goes to the dermatologist at least once a year to be checked for skin cancer, due to the fact that the risk increases as we grow older. In between visits, examine any spots or moles on the skin routinely, and advise the dermatologist about any alterations in color, size, or shape to existing spots or moles. The doctor can also help design a plan to handle any other skin conditions the senior is being affected by. To locate a dermatologist nearby, search the American Academy of Dermatology’s database.
At At-Home Care Company, our trained care team is highly skilled in helping seniors maintain optimal health and wellness, from head to toe! Just some of the various ways we’re able to help include:
- Transportation and accompaniment to check-ups and surgical procedures
- Making sure that seniors stay hydrated
- Preparing healthy, nutritious meals
- Providing bathing/showering assistance
- Helping with housework and laundry
- Encouraging physical activity and exercise
- Offering pleasant companionship
- And so much more
Reach out to At-Home Care Company, providers of the best senior care Urbandale, IA and the surrounding area can find, to learn more about our top-rated and affordable home care services. In Ames we can be reached at (515) 292-2650, and in Ankeny contact us at (515) 963-4410. Contact us any time to learn more about how we can help you.