After a medical procedure or hospitalization, the words we look forward to hearing most are, “Here are your discharge papers – you’re free to go home now!” What a feeling of relief there is in coming through the front door, sinking into a favorite chair, and relaxing.
However, there are often a variety of tasks required for proper healing and recovery and to prevent a re-hospitalization. For seniors who live alone, and even for those with family support, it can be challenging to sort through the various post-hospitalization guidelines, pick up prescriptions, make follow-up appointments, adjust to any necessary dietary or lifestyle changes, and so much more.
This is where a knowledgeable home care agency, like At-Home Care Company, is very helpful. Our transitional care at home can start even before discharge to make sure each detail will be looked after. Working with the hospital’s care team, we can develop and implement a recovery plan to include:
- Scheduling follow-up appointments
- Preparing a list of medications, together with any allergies and/or dietary restrictions
- Ensuring the pantry and fridge are stocked with healthy foods
- Establishing physical activity routines
- Arranging for any required medical equipment to be delivered to the home
- Outlining any potential medical issues and side effects
After discharge, we are able to:
- Provide safe transportation home from the hospital (and to any follow-up medical appointments or procedures)
- Pick up any prescriptions and ensure they’re taken exactly as prescribed
- Plan and prepare meals
- Assist with showers, getting dressed, using the toilet, etc.
- Offer companionship for conversations, puzzles, games, as well as other enjoyable activities
- Watch for and report any changes in condition or potential medication side effects
- Provide support with walking to prevent falls
- Connect the senior with other local helpful resources
- And much more
With the assistance of the knowledgeable and compassionate care staff at At-Home Care Company, seniors can lessen the worries that accompany a hospitalization and focus on acquiring the rest necessary to recover. Not just that, but we can help seniors avoid a stay in a rehabilitation facility and recover where they are most comfortable: in the home.
If a cherished older adult is facing a planned surgery, give us a call. We will be happy to come visit the senior at home and begin to formulate a plan to ensure a smooth transition home again. We can also perform a home safety assessment and provide strategies for any changes necessary to prevent falls – a typical and dangerous occurrence after a hospitalization.
Reach out to At-Home Care Company, providers of in home care in Des Moines, IA and the surrounding communities, for assistance any time at (515) 292-2650. We’re here for you, before, during, and after a hospital stay.