We either love them or avoid them, but no matter what our stance on New Year goal setting, there is something incredibly invigorating about moving into a new year, providing us with a clean slate and the chance to make any changes we aspire to improve wellbeing or to accomplish a new goal or dream.
For family caregivers, resolutions may be especially meaningful, mainly because they impact not merely the caregivers themselves, but their senior loved ones. It is worthwhile, nonetheless, to keep resolutions realistic. Resolving, for instance, to get a complete eight hours of sleep every night, while caring for a senior loved one who struggles with sundowning issues in Alzheimer’s, can be setting yourself up for failure.
- I shall reach out for help and support, and take help when offered.
- I grant myself license to say “no” to requests in order to prevent taking on more than I can easily handle.
- I will make my own health (both physical and mental) a main concern, making sure that I plan and keep medical-related checkups and appointments.
- I will remind myself that self-care is not self-centered, and that by taking good care of myself, I will take better care of my family member.
- I will look closely at my levels of energy, and take measures in order to avoid allowing myself to reach the point of exhaustion, burnout, or depression.
If even the mere notion of achieving any of these goals feels too lofty to take into consideration, we have a remedy! Partner with At-Home Care Company for experienced, in-home respite care on a consistent basis, permitting yourself necessary time away from fulfilling the care needs of your loved one, while knowing he or she will receive many different benefits as well, such as improved socialization through the companionship of a trained, knowledgeable, and thoughtful caregiver.
Starting with a complimentary in-home consultation, we will listen to the unique requirements and challenges of your loved one, and develop a personalized plan of care to meet those needs, through an assortment of services such as:
- Assistance with personal hygiene, dressing, ambulation and transfers
- Running errands, such as grocery shopping and picking up prescriptions
- Accompanied transportation to medical appointments and pleasurable outings
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Meal planning and preparation, in accordance with any prescribed dietary plans
- Engagement in conversations, reminiscing, games, and exercise, as well as other pastimes that will be of interest to the senior
- And lots of others
From all of us at At-Home Care Company, we wish you happy holidays and all the best in the year to come!