You’ve just learned that Dad needs to have knee replacement surgery. You’ve heard a little bit about what this may entail from friends, but are you really prepared to help him get ready for the surgery and recover safely and fully afterwards?
Millions of people undergo joint replacement surgery each year. Fortunately, even though it can be scary to face, the resulting relief from pain and usually quick recovery will soon have your loved one back on their feet.
Prepping for Joint Replacement Surgery
It may feel daunting to attempt to absorb all the information the surgeon will offer prior to the procedure. The simplest way to ensure you have all of the details you need is by preparing a list of questions you want the doctor to answer. Even this task can feel overwhelming, however, but don’t worry – our care team has created a list of commonly asked questions for you!
Copy any relevant questions from the list below, and then add in any others you may have:
- What sort of anesthesia is usually used, and are there options available?
- Is it necessary to go to a rehab facility for recovery, or can my loved one recover at home with help?
- How long will the surgery last?
- What specific instructions are there for the day of the surgery?
- How soon will my loved one have the ability to shower?
- Is it recommended that my loved one lose weight or make any other change in lifestyle?
- What exercises can be started now to strengthen muscles?
- What results can be expected for someone of my parent’s age and with their specific health issues?
- What are the risks of joint replacement surgery?
- How long is the typical hospital stay?
- Are there preparations we should make now to the home for a safer recovery?
- How much pain should be expected after the surgery, and what kinds of pain relief are available?
- What type of supplies or medical equipment will be helpful?
- Is it useful to practice walking with a walker or cane prior to the procedure?
- When can regular activities be resumed?
- Are there any medications that should be started or stopped prior to the procedure?
Recovering After Joint Replacement Surgery
Making plans now for your loved one’s recovery will make the transition home from the hospital smoother and easier. At At-Home Care Company, we’re here to help with post-surgical home care services that relieve some of the stress surrounding a hospitalization. For example, we are able to:
- Offer companionship for conversations and enjoyable pastimes during recovery
- Provide medication reminders so medications are taken as prescribed
- Take care of picking up groceries and prescriptions and run any other errands needed
- Encourage participation in physician-approved exercise and provide transportation to physical therapy appointments
- Monitor for changes in condition or medication side effects and report them immediately
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to and from the hospital
- Help with transfers and mobility, showers/baths, and other personal care needs to lower the chance of a fall
- And more
You can reach us any time at 515-292-2650 or online to learn more about how we can ease a surgical procedure, before, during, and after, for someone you love. Our services are available throughout Boone, Story City, Ames, and the surrounding areas. Visit our Service Area page to see if we are available to help in your area.