Did you ever wake up and realize, from the time you got out of bed, that it was going to be “one of those days?” Maybe you slept through your alarm, tripped over the cat, and then remembered you were out of coffee. These small inconveniences, however, pale in comparison of what over 50% of all adults in the United States are facing daily: managing chronic health conditions.
Whether it is cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, dementia, or any of a great many other serious and debilitating health conditions, simply getting through the day-to-day routine can be a struggle. And unsurprisingly, these challenges can make it challenging to maintain an optimistic outlook on life.
At-Home Care Company’s exceptional senior care in Waukee and surrounding areas is able to help in both of these areas. We provide hands-on support with all the daily tasks that can become overwhelming, in addition to emotional support.
Making Activities of Daily Living Easier to Manage
Think through your own personal day-to-day routine when you’re at home:
- A morning shower
- Preparing breakfast
- Making the bed
- Sorting and taking care of laundry
- Cleaning the house
- Fixing lunch
- Paying bills
- Running to the market and other errands
- Organizing a closet
- Planning and making dinner
- Cleaning up again!
- Preparing for bed
Now just imagine trying to accomplish all of those tasks while impacted by the side effects of chemotherapy; or in the midst of cognitive decline; or while pulling around an oxygen tank. An in-home caregiver can help with these and other mundane but necessary tasks, freeing up time and energy for the older adult to relax and participate in rewarding pastimes.
Lifting an Older Adult’s Spirits
It’s extremely common for an individual managing chronic health conditions to find it hard to maintain a life of joy and also to fend off depression. Our caregivers provide pleasant companionship that lets older adults know they truly are cared for. Through conversations, exercise programs, engaging in interests and hobbies, and just being there to listen when life feels discouraging, a caregiving companion brings a breath of fresh air into everyday life.
The following suggestions can help someone with chronic health conditions to feel positive and hopeful:
- Find a sense of purpose. Having purpose in life is essential to our wellbeing. It is a matter of helping a senior loved one discover what she or he is passionate about and pursuing that interest. Get creative in brainstorming ideas to make life more meaningful: serving others, learning something new, creating videos to record his or her family history or life lessons to pass along to a future generation.
- Find reasons to be thankful. A very easy but effective way for boosting positivity is by journaling. Encourage the senior to begin every day by listing a number of things he or she is thankful for: the scent of fresh blueberry muffins baking, the beauty of the sunrise, an upcoming dinner date with a friend.
- Find activities outside of the home. When possible, help the older adult enjoy life away from home: a nail or hair appointment, a shopping trip, a visit with family and friends. Even a short walk or time spent on the back porch can be helpful.
Learn More Ways Home Care Can Help
Reach out to our experts in senior care in Wake and the surrounding areas any time at (515) 292-2650 for more helpful tips for a senior loved one with a chronic health condition. We would also love to come and meet with you in the comfort of your home to discuss additional ways that our caregivers can make each day the best it can be for seniors managing long-term health conditions. For a full list of all of the communities we serve, please visit our Service Area page.