It was not long ago when there was a general presumption that when we grow older, we will naturally need to relocate into a nursing home or assisted living facility. There is now a better understanding that living at home for the duration of aging with in-home support is actually a feasible option. There is also a greater understanding since the pandemic began that growing older at home is the desired and safest choice.
So, how can you determine if home care is a solution for someone you love? First, you will want to consider his or her level of functionality in these two areas:
- Activities of Daily Living: These include daily tasks like showering/bathing, getting dressed, getting out of and into a chair or bed, using the bathroom, walking, and eating.
- Instrumental Activities of Daily Living: These tasks include money management, cooking, shopping, taking medications properly, transportation and using the phone.
If an older adult is challenged by some of these types of activities, home care can be very useful in increasing both independence and safety. Not just that, but partnering with the senior helpers in Urbandale, Iowa and nearby areas from At-Home Care Company offer a wide variety of advantages, for example:
- An increased level of overall wellbeing which comes from remaining in the older adult’s environment of choice, where she or he is most comfortable.
- An in-home caregiver provides the socialization which is so beneficial for physical and emotional health. Throughout the isolating months of the pandemic, the need for regular social contact became even more glaringly apparent.
- Home care services promote healing after a medical procedure or hospital stay, and reduce the risk for re-hospitalizations.
- Home care allows older adults and their friends and family to enjoy more high-quality time together. And often, seniors feel much more comfortable having personal care needs tended to by a care professional as opposed to a member of the family.
- Home care services are highly personalized, according to each individual’s unique needs, schedule, routines, and requests.
- With the one-on-one care provided by an in-home caregiver, care is never shared with other residents as in a facility setting – meaning needs can be met instantly without waiting for a senior’s turn.
- A healthier lifestyle is attainable for older adults receiving home care. Caregivers can provide medication reminders, offer motivation and encouragement to stay physically active, and so much more.
- With transportation and accompaniment provided by the caregiver, an older adult can remain engaged in the community through outings to fun destinations, visits with friends, lunch dates, religious services and so much more.
At At-Home Care Company, we are honored to serve older adults in Urbandale, Iowa and the surrounding communities with the in-home care services that make life the best it can be throughout aging. Our senior helpers in Urbandale, Iowa, are background checked, fully trained, and experienced in a variety of older adult care needs in the home. Contact us any time at (515) 292-2650 for a complimentary in-home consultation to see if home care is appropriate for a senior you love.