“I’m going to clean the bathrooms more regularly.”
“I’m going to force myself to run three miles every day.”
“I’m going to eat more celery and less chocolate.”
Do your New Year’s resolutions feel more like punishment than positivity? If so, resolve to make 2024 the year you set some goals you’ll look forward to keeping! If you need a little inspiration to get started, consider the following:
Tips for Finding Positivity in Caregiving
- Care for yourself. You spend so much time taking care of others. Set time aside each day to do something kind, just for you. This might be as simple as a bubble bath before bed, a quick run to your favorite coffee shop, or designated time each day to curl up under a cozy quilt and read.
- Strive to find the bright side. There are challenges and difficulties with caring for an older family member. Yet there are also a lot of positives to focus on instead. Rather than fret about the bad weather that changed your plans, settle in to watch some home movies and reminisce over a cup of comforting cocoa.
- Let go of what you cannot control. So much of the time we spend worrying is the result of things that are beyond our control. Give yourself permission to step back and remind yourself that you are human, and there will be situations you can’t resolve and problems you can’t fix.
- Pay attention to your inner dialogue. Nip any self-directed words of negativity in the bud. If you find you’re silently berating yourself for losing your patience, stop and remind yourself that you’re a loving, selfless, and dedicated caregiver for the person you love. Because of you, they are able to continue living at home and enjoy the best possible quality of life. Think about how you would encourage a friend in your shoes, and turn that encouragement inward.
- Accept help. Let this be the year that you realize caring for someone you love is a job that’s much more effective when shared. Let friends and family know that you’d like some support, and allow them to step in to help with laundry, meals, housework, running errands—whatever would alleviate stress and allow you to attain a healthier life balance.
At At-Home Care Company, we are here to help make these and any other New Year’s resolutions a reality! Our caregivers are experienced and trained in a wide variety of care needs, and can partner with you to:
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments and procedures or fun outings
- Offer friendly companionship for an older family member, including engaging conversations, puzzles, games, hobbies, exercise, and more
- Pick up groceries and run any other errands as needed
- Help with light housekeeping and laundry
- And much more
From the At-Home Care Company family to yours, Happy Holidays and all the best in the new year!