It’s a delicate balancing act. On the one hand, you’ve got your job, which provides you purpose, fulfillment, and of course, a source of income. On the other hand, you are caring for someone you love. Attempting to give 100% to both these crucial roles can leave you mentally and physically emptied, with little if any time to care for you.
You are not alone. As many as 6 out of 10 family care providers over age 50 are also working outside of the home. How do they balance senior care with a job?
How Can Family Caregivers Balance Senior Care With a Job?
- Take a look at your employee handbook. It may have been years since you cracked open the handbook you received upon employment. And at the time you were hired, your personal circumstances may have looked very different from the way they look now. Go back and re-read the policies concerning family emergencies or medical needs, flexibility in working hours, and FMLA (the Family Medical Leave Act). If the company you work for employs a minimum of 50 people, and you have worked there for at least one year (for not less than 1,250 hours during those 12 months), you’re eligible to use up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave without fear of losing your position.
- Talk to HR. If you’ve decided to explore a modified working arrangement or to take some extended time away from work, plan a time to talk to your HR representative. Explain the situation as well as the solution you would like to look into. You might also like to see if there’s the opportunity to work from your home, either part or full time, even if just for the short term. The sooner you have this discussion, the better. You don’t want to wait until you are in crisis mode to try and come to a resolution.
- Bring in respite care. Whether you opt to modify your working arrangements to better accommodate your caregiving tasks, or you choose to continue to devote yourself fully to your job, respite care from a trusted in-home care agency is a lifesaver. A professional caregiver can fill in any holes in care, from just a couple of hours weekly up to full-time, around-the-clock care. This enables you the freedom to choose to:
- Work at home with caregiving support at your side, enabling you to concentrate on your projects while still being present with your loved one
- Work full-time while knowing an expert caregiver is at home assisting with personal care, offering transportation and companionship, and more to enable you to come home and just enjoy time with your family member
- Find any combination of the two that best works for you, with a fully trained and experienced caregiver filling in the gaps accordingly for seamless care
At At-Home Care Company, serving Ames, Story City, Nevada and surrounding areas, we partner with family caregivers in whatever way works best for them and the older adult they love. Let us help you enjoy a better balance between your career and caregiving with award-winning respite care services. Call us at 515-292-2650 to find out more!